I love, love, LOVE Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. It’s the epitome of perfection! The dialogue, the restrained passion, the dynamics among all the different players … My favorite character of all time is Elizabeth Bennett. I’d like to think I was name after her, but I don’t think that’s how it happened!
What I love about this book:
1. the ability to read it over and over and still find some small nuance I missed before
2. the way Jane Austen shows her characters’ flaws through dialogue
3. the way the characters remain themselves and don’t suddenly change to facilitate the story
4. the complexity and dynamics of their interactions with one another
5. the fact the heroine ended up being the one who was prejudiced and who learned the truth the hard way (kind of like real life!)
6. the way the story remained focused on the people the entire time
7. just how flawed her characters are. I love that she shows this without judging them and lets the other characters tell you their companions’ flaws.
8. Jane Austen’s storytelling ability. The story flows and is entertaining, even when absolutely nothing is happening!
I try hard to keep these lessons in mind when I write. 🙂